and let the good times roll...

Jul 4, 2009

you know that feeling.
we all know that feeling.
you're sitting there, legs curled under you, and then you have to move.

that's when you realize it.
your leg is asleep.

well, you know how that feeling goes?
it's just numb.
then a tad tingly.
then an achy tingly.
then pinchy.
then almost normal.
and then finally normal.

that is how the past year has been for me.
this exact feeling.

i graduated college in a blur of too many credits, too little time, a lot of packing, a lot of finals, and then one monumental move 900 miles away.
i was numb...but i knew hoped that feeling wouldn't last for long.
and i knew i had to be here.

then came the move into my apartment.
the purchase of "grown-up" things like a couch, a table, a microwave, a freaking vaccum.
i was legit.
and i realized i was here for the long haul.

then i really realized it.
it hit me.
i was 3,000 miles away from my family.
pretty much friendless, in a strange city, with too many hippies and not enough comfort.
i had a horrible work schedule and i missed BYU terribly.
my heart ached and ached.

then i decided to stop living at my desk (or on my couch) ... and get out and make friends.
to go to activities at the institute, call people up, and to force myself into interaction.
to hang out with my coworkers.
and stop being so silly.

then i had friends.
and then my work schedule changed.
and my apartment felt like home.
i began to love my job and love my friends even more.

now i really can't imagine being anywhere else.
i don't know where i want to go from here.
i love oregon.
i adore my friends.
my oregon family.
and i'm beyond grateful for my sleepy-leg-year.
(but don't want to repeat it.)

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS. What a great analogy. You're amazing Siovhan... keep it up! I'm so happy to hear that things are going so bless-ed-ly well for you! :) You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. where you were a year ago i am today. it's refreshing to hear that it gets better.
    ps email or call me sometime ... would love to hear from you :)

    ReplyDelete

i've said my piece, now you get to say yours...