An Ode to Cardboard...

Aug 30, 2009

I love cardboard.

I know it sounds random, but just bear with me.
Cardboard is PAPER.
Heavy Duty paper.

It's paper that's banded together to be able to carry and hold a whole bunch of stuff.
That's AMAZING.

Imagine what we could do if we all banded together.
Imagine what could be accomplished if your one little piece of paper met with my one little piece of paper and met a third piece.
Imagine the burdens we could carry.

I know how powerful cardboard is.
I've had enough moving experiences and boxes full of heavy, heavy books to be able to attest to it's strength.

Something so weak on its own, when knit together, becomes so strong.
Something so simple, so mundane, so blah in color -- can literally tote around people's lives.

I LOVE IT.

The world would be a better place. Surely.
If we all banded together to be a little bit nicer, a little bit more helpful, a little less concerned about "ME" and a little more concerned about "YOU."

If instead of gossiping about what that one girl in the office is wearing, you could surely compliment her on her amazing proposal or patience with the boss. If instead of getting incredibly angry when someone zips past you and cuts you off, you could instead realize that maybe at that moment...they needed that advantage. If we realized that instead of blaming our "crummy lives" on something in the past, we look forward to the future with hope, goals, and the prospect of success.

It's definitely something I need to work on.
So, I guess you could say, I hope one day ... my cardboard mentality can help me accomplish something as magnificent as this:


yes, that's all cardboard. legit.

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one.

12 comments:

  1. What an awesome post! It was great to read some positivity this morning. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN sista!
    We just had a lesson on Sunday about Zion being of one heart and one mind. Can you imagine if we were able to get not just church members, but everyone within the world to band together? It'd be a happy place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy crap that's all cardboard?! amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool was that post? I never thought of cardboard in that way.

    You are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice of song to end a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a project once on cardboard!
    Our uni made us do it haha
    wicked post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you should make a speech on the benefits of being like cardboard (you could have a whole skit wearing a cardboard dress) and then travel around being a guest speaker at all the EFYs and TimeOUts for Women across the world! I'd pay to come see you in a cardboard dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's neat to think that genealogy/temple work is pieceing people together, creating an unbreakable web.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shared this on my google reader...came across it again...and I really like the cardboard analogy... xoxo

    ReplyDelete

i've said my piece, now you get to say yours...