Crazy Things You Probably Never Needed to Know About Me

Mar 4, 2012

This thing has been going around everywhere. And I got tagged by the lovely Kristie -- who I've known SO long now, it seems nuts. (It's been like 8 years. Whoa.) She and I love some of the same bands, many of the same shows, lots of the same fashion, and definitely big puffy heart our mutual Massachusetts home. Plus, she's just awesome. So, here goes.


because why not, right?
via

There are six rules.
1. Post these rules.
2. Post 11 random things about yourself.
3. Answer the questions set for you in the original post (i.e., Kristie's for me).
4. Create 11 new questions and tag people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog and tell them you've tagged them.
6. No saying, "If you are reading this, you're tagged."

11 random things about me.
1. I'm currently not wearing shoes, in my office. I'm off the clock, don't worry, but still. Honestly, I'd love to be barefoot like 99% of the time. The other 1% is when my feet are in hot lava.
2. I love listening to TV. I'm not always great at watching it, but I'm totally fascinated listening to a show happen as I do other things. It keeps my mind going (like while driving) but doesn't require me to sit still, a skill I seriously fail at. I blame this on long road trips to my grandparents' house when I was little and listening to movies mom had recorded on tape.
3. Cheese, potatoes and french toast are my favorite foods. I know they're not super sophisticated but, dude, they make me freaking EXCITED.
4. My little sister's texts are some of the things I most look forward to in my week. She is a 14-year-old comedienne, I tell you.
5. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
6. I have a terribly difficult time keeping my fingernails painted. As soon as they chip, I'm over it. I can't get the polish off quick enough.
7. I'm addicted to hand sanitizer because I will.not.get.pneumonia.again.
8. I've always wanted to be a redhead. My whole life. When I was little I was so sad I had to have "silly blonde hair" and not "gorgeous red hair." I blame The Little Mermaid.
9. It's taking me SO LONG to read Bossypants. I love Tina Fey, and the book is funny, I just can't figure out why it's not as quick a read as I thought it would be.
10. My new car's name is Eva because she looks like the white robot in Wall-E and because it's on my license plate.
11. I could drink lemonade non-stop. If I let myself buy a bottle it I go through it in about a day. I actually have to mentally ration it.

Kristie's questions for me.
1. Do you have any pets? If so, what kind and what are they're names? I have a cat that still lives with my parents. His name is Dakota and he's a massive tabby cat. My family also has a dog named Sherlock Holmes.  
2. What is your favorite dessert of all time? Of all time? Oh dear. I have a nearly insatiable sweet tooth, so this is a hard question. My very favorite has to be a good ole chocolate chip cookie with some milk. 
3. Are you an Oxford Comma user? Professionally, no, because it's not AP style. Personally, for the most part. Every so often my professional lack of comma seeps into my life, but generally I am.
4. What's the best field trip you ever went on? Hands down my week-long field trip to Washington, D.C. when I was in 8th grade. If you're talking normal field trip, I was always a huge fan of the St. Louis Science Center and Magic House excursions. 
5. If you had a time machine and could travel to any time in history, what would it be? Any time in history, oh this is kind of tough. I'm a closet history nerd (seriously, favorite books: historical fiction) so it would be between the '40s, the Civil War, or Revolutionary War period, but if I had to pick just one it'd be the 40s; gorgeous fashion, American Solidarity, a cherishing of life that many of us now take for granted. I understand that it's a hard time and that things weren't hunky dory all the time, but I also think that people valued life more than many of us do nowadays. 
6. Who is the most influential teacher you ever had? Why? It's hands down my 4th grade teacher Ms. Nikodem. Ms. Nikodem embraced me for the quirky, awkward, reading-voracious kid I was. She taught me so many things and truly engaged my little 9-year-old brain in so many ways. I still remember her teaching us about Native Americans and totem poles, Johnny Tremain and the Revolutionary War, reading Shiloh to us aloud and not being angry when I'd read ahead and already knew what happened, and always furnishing me with extra books to read because I'd gotten my work done quicker than everyone else. She encouraged me to read and would let me stay behind at recess to talk about them with her. I don't know what teacher would willingly give up their recess free-time for a book discussion with a little kid, but she did. She was an incredible woman; never mean, always smiling, and ever-encouraging. (And she taught me that loving reading wasn't a bad thing. A thought many of my teachers encouraged and enabled over the years. Also kudos goes out to my 6th grade English teacher, whose name I currently can't remember, who formed an after-school book club with 3 nerdy girls and gave us free-reign of the literature closet. She was awesome.)
7. What is your favorite makeup product? Mascara. Hands down makes a HUGE difference on my face. And my current love is Maybelline's Falsies Flared. It is AWESOME.
8. What's better? Clean sheets or new pillows? Oh Kristie, this is a hard one. Hmmm. I'm gonna have to go with clean sheets only because the reward is immediate whereas I always feel like I have to break in a new pillow so it takes a couple days for it to feel right.
9. What is your favorite poem? I'm not a poetry person, for the most part, actually. Despite my love of the written word. But I have two favorites: Emily Dickinson's Hope and e.e. cummings' i carry your heart with me.  
10. What is your secret to happiness? Gratitude. If you understand and appreciate what you have and continue to love it and really enjoy it, you'll be happy. It's also helps you understand what else you want in life and make goals toward it. 
 11. What's your favorite movie of all time? Oh this one's hard, too. I think it's got to be Hercules. I'm never sad I'm watching it.

My questions for the friends I tag.
1. What's your favorite way to spend any "me time" you have?
2. If you could live any place in the world for six months, where would it be?
3. What's the best advice your mom and/or dad ever gave you?
4. What's your favorite book? Why?
5. Do you want a pet? What's your ideal pet?
6. If you could buy any one item regardless of cost, what would it be?
7. What do you hope your legacy will be?
8. Who's your hero?
9. How would you classify your personal style?
10. What do you consider your best personality trait?
11. Do you have a favorite sports team?

I tag:
Jenna, Jessica, Ruth, Heather, Lacey, and Gabby

4 comments:

  1. Dakota and Sherlock are still alive? No way! Or are they just not as old as I think they are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you did this! Good answers! And you're pretty awesome yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I loved this! And I loved seeing I was tagged in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up and I love you. The end.

    ReplyDelete

i've said my piece, now you get to say yours...